Reports: Gunmen might have been looking for Bloods gang member whose remains were found near St. George

CHARLESTON COUNTY JAIL/PROVIDED Larry Jackson, 24, of Summerville died of a gunshot wound to the head. He had a criminal history and had been tied to the Bloods gang, police said.

Two gunmen might have been looking for a 24-year-old Bloods gang member whose remains were found last month in rural Dorchester County, according to police reports released Monday.

Larry Jackson’s girlfriend told Summerville police in late April that friends last saw him walking near West Doty Avenue in the Brownsville community. He lived on nearby Boone Street.

Those same friends said two men armed with handguns and nicknamed “Webby” and “Fresh” might have been looking for Jackson at the time, a report stated.

After he did not get in touch with loved ones over the next two days, the girlfriend reported Jackson missing on April 29.

It was unusual for Jackson not to stay in touch, his sister added. She told investigators that she knew of no threats against Jackson.

His disappearance came six months after Jackson was charged with shooting at a member of the Gangster Disciples faction of the Folk Nation gang and the three Summerville police officers gathered around him during a traffic stop. Nobody was hit during the October incident.

After police caught up with Jackson, they noted that he had the word “Bloods” tattooed on his right arm.

Jackson amassed a lengthy arrest history that included robbery, drugs and violence. He was first convicted of a felony — strong-arm robbery — after Charleston County deputies arrested him in October 2006. A misdemeanor conviction for possessing crack cocaine followed the next year.

In March 2008 he was shot in the back behind a West Ashley convenience store.

He was charged with five counts of attempted murder in the October shooting that police linked to gangs. In that incident, three police officers were talking to a passenger they had found with cocaine wrapped into a dollar bill during a traffic stop.

As officers handcuffed the man who had Folk Nation tattoos, they heard three gunshots. In a search, police found Jackson, who they said matched the shooter’s description.

After his release from jail in that case, Charleston County deputies charged him in January with kidnapping and third-degree criminal sexual conduct.

Those two most recent criminal cases were still pending when he disappeared in mid-April.

Officers checked jails and hospitals, but they found no sign of him. They issued a news release, but Jackson didn’t turn up.

Hunters who were looking for their dogs on Aug. 17 found a skull in some woods off Utsey Hill Road south of St. George. Deputies from the Dorchester County Sheriff’s Office later came across more bones in the area.

The location is about 35 miles from the Summerville community where Jackson was last seen alive.

Coroner Chris Nisbet announced last week that the remains belonged to Jackson, and that his death had been deemed a homicide. He had been shot in the head, the coroner said.

The Sheriff’s Office has been investigating the case for the past month, but sheriff’s Capt. Tony Phinney declined Monday to further comment on the probe.

Reach Andrew Knapp at 937-5414 or