Coast Guard crews respond to 2 flooding boats near Charleston Sunday night

Members of the Coast Guard rescued three people Sunday night from a 17-foot pleasure craft that was taking on water at the mouth of the Stono River, according to a release issued by the Coast Guard.

They also responded to a report of a 68-foot fishing vessel with three people aboard that struck the south jetty at the entrance to Charleston Harbor and began flooding.

Neither incident involved any injuries, the report stated.

The father of one of the people aboard the 17-foot recreational boat called the Coast Guard at 9:24 p.m. to report the vessel was disabled in rough seas and needed assistance.

A boatcrew from Coast Guard Station Charleston and a helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Facility Charleston went out to search for the boat. The aircrew spotted the boat aground in a shallow area between Kiawah Island and Folly Beach, where the surface units could not access it.

Shortly after, the vessel began rapidly taking on water so the helicopter crew hoisted all three people off the flooding boat and flew them to Charleston Executive Airport where they declined medical treatment, according to the release.

St. Johns Fire Rescue and North Charleston Fire Department also assisted during the response.

At 11:35 p.m., the Coast Guard was notified that a 68-foot fishing vessel that struck the south jetty at the entrance to Charleston Harbor was rapidly taking on water with three people aboard.

A Charleston Fire and Rescue marine unit boat responded to a Coast Guard radio broadcast about the accident and arrived on scene first, removing all three people from the boat and taking them to Wando Shrimp Company at Shem Creek where they declined medical assistance, according to the release.

Only the stern of the fishing vessel was visible above the waterline when the Coast Guard boatcrew from Station Charleston arrived on scene. The vessel's captain estimates the shrimp boat has approximately 1,200 gallons of diesel fuel on board.

Coast Guard pollution responders have been notified, and a Coast Guard overflight to assess potential pollution is scheduled for sunrise Monday.

A Charleston pilot boat also assisted during the response.