AUGUSTA, Ga. – Five takes from Jordan Spieth’s world, or Saturday at the Masters:
1. Speaking of the 21-year-old Spieth … His 36-hole record of 14-under par 130 includes 15 birdies and just one bogey, the kind of Augusta consistency that might eventually result in more green jackets than Tiger Woods owns (four).
2. Tiger is back, sort of. The 69 on Friday was impressive, considering his golf train wrecks earlier this year. But don’t count on the 39-year-old to win more than one more major. He stands at 14, four short of Jack Nicklaus’ record 18.
3. No way the Augusta National greens will stay as soft and friendly this weekend. They have various high-tech drying devices here to make sure short games aren’t easy.
4. It will be fun to watch three South Carolina residents chase Spieth on Saturday: Dustin Johnson (Columbia native living in Myrtle Beach) is seven shots back at 7-under, Bill Haas (Greenville) is 10 shots back at 4-under and Russell Henley (Charleston) is 12 shots back at 2-under.
5. If only Dustin Johnson can get by that first hole … Johnson set a Masters single-round record Friday with three eagles. But carded a double-bogey at No. 1, a par 4.
Follow Gene Sapakoff on Twitter @sapakoff