Justin Greene enjoyed a three-hit day for the Mobile BayBears on Sunday, boosting his batting average to .325 for the Class AA affiliate of the Diamondbacks.
The former Stratford High School standout was 3 for 5, scored a run and drove in a run in the BayBears’ 4-1 win over Jacksonville. Greene hit his fourth triple of the season and has driven in 12 runs to go with his .325 batting average.
Elsewhere among Lowcountry players in pro baseball:
• Chris McGuiness (James Island, The Citade) was 2 for 4 and drove in a run for Class AAA Round Rock, and is hitting .284 with 32 RBI.
• Pitcher John Cornely (Bishop England HS, Wofford) gave up two hits and three earned runs in an inning of work for Class A Lynchburg, with a walk and three strikeouts. He’s 1-0 with a 4.76 ERA and one save in 15 appearances.
• Pitcher Drew Cisco (Wando HS) started but got a no-decision in Class A Dayton’s 8-3 win over Lake County. Cisco gave up six hits and two earned runs over 3 1/3 innings, walking none and striking out one. He’s 2-3 with a 3.32 ERA in 11 starts.
• Marty Gantt (Mount Pleasant, College of Charleston) hit his sixth homer of the season in Class A Bowling Green’s 8-6 loss to South Bend. Gantt hit a three-run shot in the first inning, and is batting .307 with 30 RBI.
• On Friday night, pitcher Mike Cisco (Wando HS, USC) earned the victory in Arkansas’ 5-3 win over Corpus Christi. Cisco (2-1, 2.38 ERA) worked one scoreless inning with a hit and a strikeout.
In the majors:
• Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, College of Charleston) was 0 for 2 in the Yankees’ 3-0 loss to Boston and is batting .256.
• Justin Smoak (Stratford HS, USC) has been placed on the disabled list retroactive to May 30 with a strained oblique.