Former College of Charleston Cougar Marty Gantt is on a bit of a roll for Class A Bowling Green, hitting safely in his last five games.
Gantt, a Mount Pleasant native, was 2 for 4 on Wednesday night, giving him four hits in his last two games. A seventh-round pick by Tampa in 2012, Gantt is 6 for 16 during his hitting streak, raising his average to .306 with four homers and 20 runs batted-in in 29 games.
Elsewhere among Lowcountry players in pro baseball Wednesday:
• Chris McGuiness (James Island, The Citadel) was 1 for 4 with a run, a walk and a strikeout. He’s batting .262 for Class AAA Round Rock.
• Justin Greene (Stratford HS, Francis Marion) was 0 for 1 and his hitting .260 at Class AA Mobile.
• Pitcher John Cornely (Bishop England HS, Wofford) gave up three hits, two runs (one earned) with a walk and three strikeouts in one inning for Class A Lynchburg. He’s 0-0 with a 7.11 earned-run average.
In the majors:
• Matt Wieters (Stratford HS) was 1 for 4 and scored a run in the Orioles’ 5-3 win over the Royals, and is batting .234.
• Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, College of Charleston) was 1 for 3 with a run and walk in the Yankees’ 3-2 win over Colorado. He’s hitting .270.
Here’s a complete list of Lowcountry players, and players from The Citadel, College of Charleston, Charleston Southern, USC and Clemson.