Former Citadel standout Chris Swauger has been promoted to Class AAA by the Cardinals, and went 2 for 4 in his debut with Memphis on Wednesday night.
Swauger, an outfielder picked in the 26th round by the Cardinals in 2008, had been hitting .279 with five home runs and 27 runs batted-in for Class AA Springfield.
Swauger played 18 games at Class AAA Memphis last season, batting .222. For his minor-league career, he’s a .286 hitter with 57 home runs and 289 RBI in six seasons.
Among Lowcountry players in the minor leagues Wednesday:
• Pitcher John Cornely (Bishop England HS, Wofford) worked two scoreless innings for Class A Lynchburg, striking out four with no walks and no hits. It was his fifth straight appearance without allowing an earned run. He’s 1-0 with a 3.38 ERA and one save this season.
• Pitcher Mike Cisco took the loss in Class AA Arkansas’ 5-3 loss to San Antonio, allowing two hits and two runs in 1 1/3 innings, with three strikeouts. He’s 1-1 with a 2.49 ERA.
• Marty Gantt (Mount Pleasant, College of Charleston) was 1 for 2 and scored a run for Class A Bowling Green, and is batting .320 with five homers and 27 RBI.
• Justin Greene (Stratford HS, Francis Marion) was 1 for 4 and is batting .310 for Class AA Mobile.
• Reese Havens (Bishop England HS, USC) was 1 for 4 playing third base for Class AAA Las Vegas, and hit his fourth double. He’s batting .231.
In the majors:
• Matt Wieters (Stratford HS) was 1 for 4 in the Orioles’ 9-6 win over the Nationals, and is batting .244.
• Brett Gardner was 1 for 5 in the Yankees’ 9-4 loss to the Mets, and is hitting .267.
• Justin Smoak (Stratford HS, USC) was 0 for 1 as a pinch-hitter in the Mariners’ 3-2 loss to the Padres and is batting .240.