Former Bishop England High School standout John Cornely earned his first save of the season over the weekend, a good one for Lowcountry players in pro baseball.
Cornely (Wofford) worked 2/3 of an inning in Class A Lynchburg’s 9-8 win over Carolina on Saturday night, allowing one hit and striking out one. He lowered his earned-run average to 5.63 in eight appearances since coming off the disabled list.
Elsewhere in the minor leagues:
• Chris McGuiness (James Island, The Citadel) was 2 for 5 with a double and scored two runs Sunday. He’s batting .271 for Class AAA Round Rock.
• Reese Havens (Bishop England, USC) drew a bases-loaded walk in the ninth-inning for a walk-off win on Saturday, and was 1 for 3 on Sunday to boost his average to .254 for Class AAA Las Vegas.
• Justin Greene (Stratford HS, Francis Marion) went 4 for 8 on the weekend, with two runs batted-in and a run scored. He’s hitting .293 for Class AA Mobile.
• Pitcher Mike Cisco (Wando HS, USC) worked an inning of scoreless relief on Sunday, allowing one hit with a strikeout. He’s 1-0 with a 2.40 ERA at Class AA Arkansas.
• Pitcher Drew Cisco (Wando HS) took a tough-luck loss on Saturday, working six innings and allowing just two earned runs in a 5-3 loss to Fort Wayne. He allowed five hits, walked none and struck out four, and is 2-3 with a 3.07 ERA at Class A Dayton.
• Marty Gantt (Mount Pleasant, College of Charleston) was 2 for 4 and scored a run on Sunday, and is hitting .302 at Class A Bowling Green.
In the majors:
• Matt Wieters (Stratford HS) was 2 for 2 with his fifth homer and two runs batted-in on Saturday, but went 0 for 4 on Sunday to drop his average to .240 with the Orioles.
• Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, College of Charleston) was 1 for 4 with a run scored and hit his seventh double on Sunday, and is batting .259 for the Yankees.
• Justin Smoak (Stratford HS, USC) was 1 for 2 with a run scored on Saturday and 0 for 3 on Sunday for the Mariners, and is batting .237.