Charge dropped against Gamecocks football signee Shameik Blackshear

South Carolina football signee Shameik Blackshear walked out of municipal court in Bluffton on Tuesday after a charge of petit larceny against the star defensive end was dropped.

Prosecutor Ben Shelton said he declined to pursue the charge after the alleged victim and a witness declined to testify. The alleged victim had also requested that the charge be dismissed, according to the Hilton Head Island Packet.

Blackshear, a four-star prospect rated 203rd in ESPN’s list of the top 300 high school seniors, was arrested Feb. 13 at Bluffton High School. According to the Island Packet, the 17-year-old was uncooperative with police while being questioned in regard to the theft of a purse and a safe from a Beaufort County home on Feb. 7.

The Island Packet reported that Blackshear was charged with one count of petit larceny after the theft victim and two witnesses told police they saw the 6-4, 230-pound football player take the items from the home. The items were valued at $1,390, police told the newspaper.

Tuesday, Judge Clifford Bush III called Blackshear’s arrest at the high school “unconscionable,” and said the charge had been made without physical evidence. Bush approved defense attorney Thomas C. Taylor’s request that the charge be dismissed and expunged from Blackshear’s record, the newspaper reported.

Blackshear was the second-highest-rated player signed by head coach Steve Spurrier’s program on National Signing Day, even though he missed much of his senior season rehabilitating from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

USC issued a statement at the time of Blackshear’s arrest saying it would let the legal process play out. He is expected on campus this summer with the rest of USC’s 2015 signing class for the coming season, which opens Sept. 3 against North Carolina in Charlotte.