SKorea accepts NKorean proposal for defense talks

In this photo released by the South Korean Army via Yonhap, South Korean Army soldiers run out from a Black Hawk helicopter during an exercise to prepare for possible aggression by North Korea in Jindo, south of Seoul, South Korea, Thursday, Jan. 20, 2011

SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea says it has accepted a North Korean offer to hold high-level defense talks.

Unification Ministry spokeswoman Lee Jong-joo said Thursday that the agenda for the talks should include North Korean assurances that it will act responsibly and not provoke tensions in the future. South Korea blames the North for two deadly attacks last year.

The Unification Ministry handles inter-Korean affairs.

The move came hours after North Korea proposed talks between the countries’ defense ministers.