U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman is facing pressure to resign from Democrats in his South Carolina congressional district after a string of text messages revealed the Rock Hill Republican called for a military takeover in order to keep then-President Donald Trump in power after his 2020 election defeat.
Norman's idea to impose martial law, which he wrote as "Marshall Law," was sent in a text to former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows on Jan. 17, 2021 — three days before Joe Biden was set to take office.
The private message stood in stark contrast the public statement Norman had issued just days earlier on Jan. 12, 2021, when he argued against impeaching Trump and said, "With the inauguration of Joe Biden just a few short days away, we should place our focus on ensuring a peaceful transition."
In the text, which was first reported Dec. 12 by Talking Points Memo, Norman paints a dire picture.
"(W)e are at a point of no return in saving our Republic !! Our LAST HOPE is invoking Marshall Law!! PLEASE URGE TO PRESIDENT TO DO SO!!" Norman wrote to Meadows.
Now, the York County Democratic Party is calling on Norman to resign and apologize to his constituents. In a letter posted on its social media pages, the local Democratic Party said Norman had violated his oath of office and called him "a domestic enemy of the United States Constitution."
"Aside from being a dolt who doesn't know what 'martial law' is, he's a traitor to our highest ideals, concepts generations of Americans have fought and died for. He has no business being in Congress or any other elected position," said John Kraljevich, the chairman of the York County Democratic Party.
The letter also called on York County GOP officials and elected officeholders to condemn Norman's remarks.
Norman's office declined to comment about the public calls for the congressman's resignation.
In a Dec. 13 statement issued by his office, Norman sought to downplay the texts he sent to Meadows.
"Obviously, Martial Law was never warranted," Norman said. "That text message came from a source of frustration, on the heels of countless unanswered questions about the integrity of the 2020 election, without any way to slow down and examine those issues prior to the inauguration of the newly elected president."
Norman's office did not respond to additional questions from The Post and Courier about whether Norman's concerns about the 2020 election results have now been resolved.
The report by Talking Points Memo also revealed additional texts between Norman and Meadows, now a resident in the Upstate, that illustrated Norman's initial refusal to accept that Trump had lost.
Shortly after news outlets called the election for Biden on Nov. 7, Norman sent a text to Meadows, pushing him to set up a "game plan" and "FIGHT."
"Guys, if there was ever a time to stand with our leader who has strengthened our military, stood for life for the unborn, supported Israel, built the wall, appointed conservative judges ect. And we lay down and abandon him JUST BECAUSE THE BIASED MEDIA HAS CALL THE ELECTION??" Norman sent, adding that members of South Carolina's congressional delegation would gather at the Statehouse to stand with Trump.
"For anyone willing to discuss our game plan let me or anyone else know and let’s get on a conference call with concrete plans of action," Norman said, pledging, "I will go anywhere anytime to help our cause. Bottom line, it’s time we FIGHT FOR THE ONE PERSON WHO HAS CHANGED THIS COUNTRY!! WAY TOO SOON TO GIVE IN NOW!!"
Three days later, at a Nov. 10, 2020, news conference held inside the S.C. Statehouse lobby in Columbia, Norman was asked if he accepted the results of the 2020 election.
"Oh absolutely," Norman told reporters at the time. "I do not hate Joe Biden. I do not like his policies. But that being said, yes we will accept."
U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman, R-Rock Hill, spoke at a news conference about the presidential election results on Nov. 10, 2020, flanked by U.S. Reps. Jeff Duncan, R-Laurens (from left to right); Tom Rice, R-Myrtle Beach; Nancy Mace, R-Charleston; and Joe Wilson, R-Springdale. File/Staff
Attempts to reach leadership within the York County Republican Party for comment were unsuccessful. The S.C. Republican Party also did not return calls seeking comment.
This is not the first time the York County Democratic Party has called for Norman's resignation. The group urged Norman to step down Jan. 12, 2021, after Norman previously questioned the results of the 2020 election.
But Kraljevich said in a Dec. 13 interview with The Post and Courier that this time is different.
"This is embarrassing, embarassing to the state, embarrassing to this county, and hopefully he finds it personally embarrassing, as well," he said. "This isn't just politics. If a democrat had done this exact same thing we would be calling for their resignation, as well."
Last month, Norman easily won reelection to South Carolina's 5th Congressional District, securing 64 percent of the vote in a district that stretches from Rock Hill to Sumter.
At his election night victory party, Norman addressed his supporters at the Magnolia Room in Rock Hill. He told them there are only two books that people need to abide by in their lives: "The Constitution and the Bible," Norman said to applause.
He wrapped up his election night speech with a prayer and a plea: "Help us save this country. It’s time to fight and I welcome the fight."
Norman will be sworn into office next month to serve his third full term. A former state lawmaker, Norman was first elected to Congress in a 2017 special election. He has not had a GOP primary challenger in his three reelection bids.
