COLUMBIA -- The South Carolina Supreme Court has voted by a narrow margin to refuse to block the first-in-the-South presidential primary.
Columbia lawyer Joel Collins confirmed Tuesday the court’s 3-2 decision.
Collins said the court will allow a rehearing. Collins said he has not had time to talk with his clients to see if they will ask for the rehearing.
Beaufort, Chester, Greenville and Spartanburg counties sued the state Election Commission and Republican and Democratic parties last month. They claimed that the state lacked the authority to conduct the primary and that county taxpayers would be left footing a bill of more than $1 million for the Jan. 22 contest.