An Iraq War veteran from Summerville has announced her plans to run against U.S. Rep. Nancy Mace, making the newcomer the second declared candidate to take on the freshman congresswoman in the 2022 GOP primary.
Ingrid Centurion, an Army veteran, announced her candidacy for South Carolina's 1st Congressional District in a video Sept. 14. In the nearly two-minute clip, she takes aim at President Joe Biden, socialism and immigration.
But Centurion claims nothing is more troublesome than Mace's time in Congress.
“The rise of socialism under Biden and the Democrat majority in Congress is exploding our debt, devastating our economy and poisoning our education system,” Centurion said. “Worse than the Democrats are Republicans like Nancy Mace who campaign like conservatives then side with Democrats and RINOs like Liz Cheney. We need Republicans who speak, act and vote in the House the same way they campaign.”
Centurion's comments are the latest in a wave of criticisms hurled at Mace by loyalists of former President Donald Trump after the freshman congresswoman took aim at the former president after the Jan. 6 riot and voting to certify the election results.
“Every accomplishment that Republicans have made over the last four years, including President Trump had (made) were wiped out in just a few short hours,” Mace told The Post and Courier after the events on Jan. 7.
Since those comments, others Republicans began vying for her seat.
Centurion's LinkedIn page shows her as working mostly in the greater Boston area around Massachusetts. She moved to the Charleston-area in May. She told The Post and Courier that she has no family ties to the South Carolina.
Additionally, Centurion ran for a statehouse seat in Massachusetts last year and lost. Afterward, she filed suit against the Bay State, claiming election fraud.
Lynz Piper-Loomis, a North Charleston military spouse, formally announced her candidacy on April 19 at White Point Garden in downtown Charleston.
Additionally, T.J. Allen, an Army veteran and defense contractor in the Charleston area, plans to announce his run against Mace on Sept. 28 at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post in Ladson.
All three have expressed frustrations against Mace's first months in Congress. Fundraising numbers are not yet available for the challengers on the Federal Election Commission website.
Mace, R-Charleston, was elected in November after she unseated Democratic U.S. Rep. Joe Cunningham and returned the district to GOP control.
As of the latest FEC filing deadline, Mace has raised $1.3 million and has $925,000 in cash on hand.
"Serving in Congress is the honor of my lifetime," Mace told The Post and Courier in a statement Sept. 14. "I look forward to continuing to serve the 1st District."