A North Charleston teen told investigators he used a plastic soda bottle filled with gasoline to set two fires in three days, including a blaze that destroyed a house that was under construction, according to affidavits released Wednesday.
North Charleston police charged Michael Lee Manigault, 17, with two counts of third-degree arson. A Charleston County magistrate set bail on each charge at $25,000 on Wednesday.
Affidavits say Manigault admitted to setting a fire at a trash bin at 8157 Greenridge Road on Feb. 26 and then returned two days later and set fire to the house at the same location.
Police officers responding to the house fire at 2:32 a.m. Monday saw Manigault running away.
He was sweating, nervous and jittery, according to the incident report.
He later told investigators that he poured gasoline out of a plastic Pepsi bottle into the living room and another room to start the fire, according to the affidavits.
The house was fully engulfed when firefighters responded.
Investigators say Manigault told them he used gasoline and a newspaper to set fire at the trash bin two days earlier.