Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

Fire at Stratford High forces students to evacuate

Fire at Stratford High forces students to evacuate

Students outside Stratford High in Goose Creek on Nov. 7. They were dismissed early due to smoke inside the building on Crowfield Blvd.

A fire in the bathroom at Stratford High School on Nov. 7, forced students to be evacuated and dismissed.

Firefighters in Goose Creek received the call around 10:30 a.m. A district spokesperson said the fire, in one the school’s bathrooms, was mostly extinguished by school staffers before responders arrived.

Students and staff were evacuated and milled around in a grassy area in front of the school while the scene was being cleared and investigated. The school’s website shows it having 2,400 students in grades 9 to 12 and 219 staff members.

Because the lingering smoke could not be ventilated in time, the school eventually dismissed all students at 12:50 p.m.

It’s being reported that the Goose Creek Fire Department believes it was started by a student who has been identified. At this time, there are no formal details on exactly how or why the fire was started from either the Goose Creek Police Department or the Berkeley County School District.