The Confederate Monument at White Point Garden was unveiled, not placed, by the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
The monument was erected by the Fort Sumter Memorial Commission. Andrew Buist Murray (namesake of the nearby street) bequeathed $100,000 for its construction. An inscription to that effect is on the interior portion of the low wall that partially surrounds the monument.
It was dedicated on Oct. 20, 1932.