Here are five things I’ve learned about our community in the past few weeks:
1) All the accolades the Charleston community has received these past few years were well deserved, but barely scratched the surface.
2) Grace and forgiveness are so rare these days that seeing them in action can actually shock the entire nation.
3) When something becomes indefensible, like a certain flag, most — but not all — people are smart enough to stop defending it.
4) The Charleston County School Board has a unique and totally predictable capacity to divide the community in the stupidest ways.
5) Mayor Joe Riley is a truly exceptional leader, and we’re going to miss him more than we can even imagine when he takes his well deserved retirement.
Louis H. Yuhasz