Terrorism fears force US Airways jet to land

Passengers on a US Airways Paris-to-Charlotte flight had to evacuate the plane Tuesday at Bangor International Airport in Maine. Officials said a French passenger passed a note to a flight attendant saying she had a surgically implanted device.

BANGOR, Maine — A US Airways jet traveling from Paris to Charlotte was diverted to Maine Tuesday after a French passenger handed a note to a flight attendant mentioning that she had a surgically implanted device, raising fears of a terror scenario that security officials had warned about.

There is no evidence that the plane ever was in danger, officials said. An examination by two doctors aboard the plane found that the passenger had no scars or incisions, said U.S. Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, who was briefed by Transportation Security Administration chief John Pistole.

The FBI and the Homeland Security Department warned airlines last summer that terrorists are considering surgically hiding bombs inside humans to evade airport security.

“We have seen intelligence identifying surgically implanted bombs as a threat to air travel,” said Collins, the ranking Republican on the Homeland Security Committee.

Two F-15 fighters scrambled to escort Flight 787 with 179 passengers and nine crew members to Bangor International Airport, where it landed shortly after noon.

The Boeing 767 was about 40 minutes away from Bangor when local officials were alerted. After landing, it taxied to a remote part of the airport where law enforcement officials removed the passenger, said Tony Caruso, acting airport manager.

Passengers were advised to keep their shades down during a movie, so they didn’t realize fighter jets had been dispatched to intercept the flight, said Stuart Frankel of Baltimore.

Also, there were a couple of calls on the overhead speakers for doctors, but that didn’t seem especially unusual either, he said. Eventually, the pilot advised that the jet needed to land for fuel in Maine.

“We saw lots of police and federal customs people take a woman off the plane in handcuffs,” Frankel said. “People were amazed at what was going on. We didn’t know what was happening until we landed.”

Several passengers said they had noticed that particular passenger because of her slight stature and big eyelashes. They said she attracted attention by walking up and down the aisle throughout the flight.

William Milam from Richmond, Va., said he spoke with the woman and helped her get her luggage into an overhead bin. After the woman was removed from the flight, passengers were informed that they would have to leave while the jet was checked for explosives, Milam said.

The passengers were kept in a secure area before being allowed back onto the jet, which departed 3½ hours later for Charlotte.