OMAHA, Neb. — A man accused of raping a Nebraska college student has asked a judge to dismiss the case against him.
The request filed last month in Nemaha County District Court said no evidence has been presented to support claims that Joshua Keadle sexually assaulted a fellow Peru State student over Halloween 2010.
Keadle, 30, a suspended student originally from Swansea, S.C., is scheduled to stand trial Dec. 5 on charges of sexual assault, false imprisonment and terroristic threats in the case. A hearing on his request is scheduled for Wednesday. Keadle also has been charged in Dodge County in the alleged sexual assault of a 15-year-old girl in 2008. He’s denied the charges. No trial date has been set.
Both cases against Keadle were filed after his arrest in the December 2010 disappearance of Peru State student Tyler “Ty” Thomas. The freshman from Bellevue has not been found.
Authorities have said they suspect Keadle of providing false information and tampering with evidence in the investigation of Thomas’ disappearance but no charges have been filed. The county attorney and the sheriff’s office have called him a person of interest in the case.
In the Halloween rape case, a Peru State student told investigators she “feared for her life” when Keadle drove her to a boat dock on the Missouri River and forced her to perform oral sex, according to an affidavit filed in court. Keadle then took her back to campus and raped her, the affidavit said. Authorities have said the dock is where Keadle told them he left Thomas after a sexual encounter on Dec. 3.
According to an affidavit filed by the Nemaha County sheriff, Keadle said he had sex with Thomas in his vehicle and that the two of them then got into an argument in which Thomas threatened to report that he raped her.