WHITE RIVER TOWNSHIP, Mich. — Michigan police say a charcoal grill in a car apparently generated enough carbon monoxide to kill two Grand Valley State University students, including one from South Carolina.

The victims are 20-year-old Amber Rose Brown of Montague, Mich., and 26-year-old Douglas William Ward of Aiken, S.C.

Members of Brown's family found them dead inside the vehicle Wednesday night in a wooded area of Muskegon County's White River Township, about 50 miles northwest of Grand Rapids.

Both students last were seen Sunday by friends on campus.

Police say Brown called someone Monday to say she was going camping on wooded property owned by her family.

The two victims might have fallen asleep while the grill was in operation.