A third Occupy Charleston defendant is seeking a jury trial on charges of trespassing at Marion Square, an attorney said.
Tyreece Washington notified the municipal court on Tuesday that he intends to move forward with a trial, said Sonya Duvall, his lawyer.
"Ty does have very good reasons for requesting a jury trial. It has to do with basic rights," Duvall said.
Seven of the Occupy Charleston protesters arrested on trespassing charges in late November agreed to a deal last month whereby city attorneys would drop the cases against them if they stay out of trouble for six months.
Ramon Caraballo, who opted not to take the deal, also is seeking a jury trial.
Police told the people gathered at Marion Square after midnight Nov. 23 that they had violated the park's 11 p.m. curfew.
The officers arrested protesters who refused to leave after the warning, according to court testimony.
The other man who plans to take his case to trial, Justin Honea, was arrested the day before the others on a charge of illegally camping in a park.
"My client feels he's not guilty," said William Hamilton, Honea's attorney.
Hamilton noted that although some may find the activism of Occupy Charleston irritating, the group has committed no acts of violence or property destruction.
A trial date for Washington has not been set, Duvall said.
Information on trial dates for the other two defendants was not immediately available.