A smoke alarm saved the lives of two North Charleston residents Saturday afternoon, according to the Fire Department.

Two residents of a house in the 7700 block of Nellview Drive were napping when a fire broke out shortly before 5 p.m. Saturday, according to Bianca Sancic, the Fire Department's safety educator. The smoke alarm woke them up, allowing them to escape the blaze. A cat perished in the blaze. The house sustained significant damage.

The Fire Department also responded to two other fires Saturday.

A fire broke out at a house in the 4300 block of Leslie Drive around 3:30 p.m. Saturday. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the porch, and the family was able to stay in the home, Sancic said.

Another fire caused significant damage to a house on Melvin Court shortly after noon Saturday. The Red Cross is assisting the family of three.