Shooting leaves teenager dead

Everrick Rashaun Magwood

SUMMERVILLE — Terrell "TJ" Anderson was shot to death during a drug deal gone bad late Tuesday in the Weatherstone community, police said.

His cousin, Loris Elmore, was with him and watched in disbelief as the 17-year-old was gunned down. He tried to stop the gunman, dodged a couple of bullets himself and breathed air into the lungs of the dying teen until EMS arrived.

Anderson was not a drug dealer; he was just trying to buy some marijuana, his family said. Summerville Police Capt. Jon Rogers said witnesses confirmed that Anderson was making a buy when he was wounded. The young man has no criminal history, State Law Enforcement Division records show.

"He didn't deserve to be shot like that," said Anderson's mother, Tiffany Gregory.

Everrick Rashaun Magwood, 17, of Summerville, surrendered to authorities Wednesday afternoon and is charged with murder, Rogers said. He said the suspected shooter, Makandi L. Akeem Terry, 20, of North Charleston, is at large and is wanted for a charge of murder. Neither suspect has a criminal history, their records show.

Police said charges against others involved are possible.

Anderson, of North Charleston, who had attended West Ashley High School, spent much of his free time with his cousins in the Weatherstone subdivision off U.S. Highway 17A near Interstate 26.

Elmore, 20, said Anderson arranged to meet someone at the neighborhood traffic circle for the marijuana Tuesday night.

Anderson, who stood 6 feet 3 inches tall, got out of the car Elmore was driving and walked over to a red sport-utility vehicle with several people inside. Elmore said he waited in the car about 10 feet behind the SUV. Suddenly, one man got out of the SUV with a gun, he said.

It was 11:50 p.m. when the darkness of night was broken by a bright flash of light from the gun. Anderson ran, and the gunman followed him, but Elmore stepped on the gas pedal and tried to hit the gunman with the car, he said. The gunman fired off two more rounds that struck the back of the car as Elmore passed him.

Elmore found Anderson about a block away on Southport Drive, gasping for air. And then, no movement. Elmore started CPR, but his efforts were futile. Anderson died at the scene of multiple gunshot wounds, Berkeley County Chief Deputy Coroner Bill Salisbury said.

Anderson is Summerville's first homicide victim of the year. The town had two homicides in 2008.

Pasley's Mortuary of West Ashley is handling the arrangements.

Anderson is survived by his mother and his father, Terrell L. Anderson; his brother, Timmothy Gregory, 10; and two sisters, Taylor Anderson, 13, and Tayah Anderson.