A house fire at 7054 Orvin St. in North Charleston destroyed the attic and second floor and filled the residence with smoke Thursday afternoon.

Two of the four residents were home when the mother of the family reported the fire at 1 p.m., said Bianca Sancic, Fire and Life Safety Educator. The woman and her mother left the house unharmed.

The first firefighters who arrived found the house filled with dense smoke, Sancic said. It appears the fire started in the attic or second floor, but the cause hasn't been determined, authorities said.

The Lowcountry Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the family.