Charleston police are investigating another allegation of inappropriate sexual conduct at The Citadel's former summer camp, which already is under scrutiny for the actions of two molesters, authorities said Tuesday.
The military college was notified of the allegation last week by a lawyer whose client attended the camp in the mid-1980s, said Dawes Cook, a Citadel attorney. The college reported the allegation to law enforcement on Monday, he said.
Cook provided no details on the allegation, saying only that it involved "inappropriate conduct."
"The Citadel is fully cooperating with the Charleston Police Department as they pursue this matter," Cook said. "Additionally, we encourage anyone who may have knowledge of inappropriate conduct at the summer camp to please contact law enforcement officials."
Ninth Circuit Solicitor Scarlett Wilson said she received a letter from the school Monday detailing the allegations, and she passed that on to Charleston police.
She declined to discuss the contents of the letter, but said the allegations were of a sexual nature.
Police spokesman Charles Francis said the department had just received the letter and he had no details to provide. "We are going to review the information and then move forward," he said.
The complaint is the latest in a string of allegations against the school's former summer camp, which closed down in 2006.
Police already are investigating another former summer camper's claim that molester Louis "Skip" ReVille showed young boys porn and masturbated with them at the camp in 2002. ReVille, a former cadet, was senior counselor at the camp at the time.
The Citadel has been faulted for its handling of that complaint, which it received in 2007. The college conducted an internal investigation but didn't notified police.
Attorneys Jeff Anderson and Gregg Meyers filed suit against The Citadel last week on behalf of the mother of a young man who allegedly was sexually abused by ReVille after the school failed to report the 2007 complaint.
In 2006, The Citadel paid out $3.8 million to settle lawsuits brought on behalf of five former campers who alleged that they were sexually abused by former Marine Capt. Michael Arpaio at the camp.
The Bell Legal Group recently file another suit against the school on behalf of another former camper who alleges that he was sexually assaulted by Arpaio at the camp in 2001.
Arpaio, 37, is being held in a federal detention center in San Juan, Puerto Rico. He is awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to carjacking and aiding-and-abetting in connection with a 2008 robbery on the island that resulted in the killing of a cocaine courier, court records show.
Former Citadel President Gen. Mark Clark founded the summer camp in 1957 to give boys ages 10 to 15 a taste of The Citadel in an effort to build character and recruit future cadets. Clark also saw the camp as a way to use school facilities year-round and provide cadets with summer-job opportunities.
The camp, which had "a military flavor," proved popular, drawing thousands of boys from across the country and beyond for activities such as swimming, tennis, sailing and air rifle marksmanship.
One month after settling the Arpaio lawsuits in 2006, The Citadel closed the camp for good, saying it had outlived its usefulness. A press release issued by the school cited several factors, from shorter summer vacations to a need to perform work on the barracks. There was no mention of the Arpaio matter.