ReVille detailed 'games'

Louis ReVille

Days before his arrest in Mount Pleasant, former coach Louis "Skip" ReVille dashed off an email to parents in an apparent attempt to deflect attention from his schemes to groom young boys for molestation.

The email is referenced in a Hanahan police report, and one local attorney who has seen the message said ReVille conceded to families that he had participated in inappropriate "games" with young boys.

Meanwhile Thursday, another lawyer representing some of ReVille's victims said his investigation on behalf of clients has identified at least 30 victims. Authorities would not confirm that tally.

So far, ReVille, 32, is charged with molesting nine boys in Mount Pleasant, but police in Summerville, Charleston and Hanahan are investigating his actions as well. He worked as a coach, teacher and church group leader in the region for about a decade.

ReVille reportedly sent an email to parents shortly before his Oct. 28 arrest in an effort to calm concerns about his methods and behavior. The email is mentioned in a partial copy of a Hanahan police report obtained by The Post and Courier, but the report does not go into explicit detail.

Attorney Gregg Meyers said he represents five of ReVille's victims and has seen the email. He said ReVille apparently sent the message after he learned that a group of parents was planning a meeting, with him as the central topic of discussion.

In the email, ReVille described different competitions he would have with boys he coached, Meyers said. Players could earn extra points for pulling their pants down and exposing themselves during sporting contests. They could also boost their scores by showing photographs of their genitals to other players, he said.

ReVille also discussed a method of discipline he had for boys in his Bible study classes that involved him slapping their genitals from outside their clothing, Meyers said.

"The email itself is pretty remarkable," he said. "He probably could have been arrested based on the email alone."

Meyers said the activities are consistent with a pedophile trying to groom his victims. "It's about breaking down boundaries and getting kids comfortable with crossing lines and keeping secrets," he said. "This is classic grooming behavior."

Hanahan police Lt. Michael Fowler would not comment on the email or the partial police report obtained by the newspaper. He also would not release the full report, citing the ongoing investigation into ReVille's activities.

ReVille likely will be indicted in January on allegations that he molested five boys in that city, Fowler said.

The partial police report indicates that ReVille told parents he engaged in "some games that the boys would play" at Moultrie Middle School in Mount Pleasant. This started with the football team and continued with the basketball team, the report states.

ReVille served as a volunteer basketball coach at Moultrie Middle for three seasons from November 2008 to March 2011.

Though some parents have told the newspaper that they complained to ReVille about closed practices, at which parents were not allowed to observe, Charleston County School District spokesman Elliot Smalley has said ReVille always had "an assistant male coach -- the parent of a Moultrie student -- with him while volunteer coaching."

"ReVille was never alone with students at Moultrie Middle School," Smalley said.

Neither school officials nor Mount Pleasant police spokesman Stan Gragg would comment on Thursday's revelations about the email.

Most of the boys ReVille coached at Moultrie have moved on to Wando High School, or to other county high schools.

School district spokesman Jason Sakran said Wando High Principal Lucy Beckham and Dee Norton Lowcountry Children's Center Director Emeritus Elizabeth Ralston crafted a letter sent to parents of all Wando ninth-graders in mid-November.

The letter made parents aware of counseling options offered at Wando and the Dee Norton center, Sakran said.

Only about a dozen former Moultrie students are ninth-graders this year at Academic Magnet High School, School of the Arts and Garrett Academy. Sakran said guidance counselors at those schools have reached out to parents of those students offering help if needed.

Also Thursday, attorney Mullins McCleod revealed that his investigation has identified at least 30 victims of ReVille. He declined to say how he arrived at that total or how many victims he represents. McCleod said the names of these victims are known to law enforcement.

Gragg and Fowler would not comment on McCleod's statements. Ninth Circuit Solicitor Scarlett Wilson, whose office will be prosecuting cases from those agencies, could not be reached for comment.

ReVille's attorney, Craig Jones, also could not be reached for comment. He previously has said that ReVille is sorry for his actions and intends to keep cooperating with investigators who are building cases against him.

ReVille, a married father of three, currently faces more than a dozen charges, and he remains in the Charleston County jail with bail set at about $1.4 million.

Reach Glenn Smith at 937-5556 or on Twitter at @glennsmith5.