Ex-Wando students finish jail time


A trial involving a local business traveler who sued Delta Air Lines for false arrest and other allegations has ended with a hung jury.

District Judge Richard Gergel on Monday ordered attorneys for Amanda Tuxworth of Mount Pleasant and for the Atlanta-based carrier to try to settle the case through a new round of mediation. Negotiations must begin by Feb. 9.

The case was turned over to the jury Friday, capping two days of testimony in federal court in Charleston.

Mount Pleasant attorney Jim Brauchle, who represents Tuxworth, said the 10-person panel deliberated until about 11 p.m. without reaching a unanimous verdict. "They worked hard to try to get a resolution, but unfortunately it didn't come to fruition," he said Monday.

A lawyer for Delta could not be reached for comment.

Gergel said the case will be placed on the federal trial roster for the March term if mediation does not lead to a settlement.

Tuxworth's lawsuit stemmed from an incident on July 25, 2010, when she and business associate Lisa Brown arrived late at the carrier's hub at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. They missed their connecting flight and waited at a gate, where an airline employee told them to report to another gate, court records state.

Brown tried to hand the female worker her frequent-flier card -- Delta said she threw it at the employee -- but gave her debit card by mistake. When the employee refused to return the card, an argument broke out. Delta said in court filings that Tuxworth tried to pull the card from the employee's hand.

Airline workers directed an officer to arrest Tuxworth and Brown for disorderly conduct.

Tuxworth was handcuffed and jailed for 15 hours, according to her lawsuit. She accused Delta of false arrest, malicious prosecution and defamation.

Delta denied the allegations in its written response. In one filing, the airline said its employee felt threatened by Tuxworth, who tried to escape.

Allyson Bird contributed to this report.