One person escapes fire that consumed West Ashley house

One person was able to escape a fire that consumed a house Sunday night in West Ashley. The flames started in the home´s garage, where propane was stored, and it spread quickly to the living quarters. The cause of the fire wasn´t immediately determined.( Leroy Burnell/postandcourier.com/4/1/2012 )

One person was able to escape a fire that consumed a house Sunday night in West Ashley.

The blaze was reported at 9:53 p.m. at 1950 White Birch Lane, which is in The Meadows at Westborough subdivision just west of Magwood Drive and Ashley River Road.

The flames started in the home’s garage, where propane was stored, and it spread quickly to the living quarters, according to Charleston Fire Department spokesman Mark Ruppel.

Firefighters needed about 15 minutes to control the flames, he said.

“The fire was pretty significant in the garage,” Ruppel said. “It traveled throughout the attic and the roof line to the house.”

The 1,279-square-foot structure was deemed uninhabitable from fire, smoke and water damage.

One person who was inside at the time got out safely, Ruppel said. No injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire wasn’t immediately determined.

Firefighters from St. Andrews and James Island helped city crews in battling the blaze.

Reach Andrew Knapp at 937-5414 or twitter.com/offlede.

Andrew Knapp is editor of the quick response team, which covers crime, courts and breaking news. He previously worked as a reporter and copy editor at Florida Today, Newsday and Bangor (Maine) Daily News. He enjoys golf, weather and fatherhood.