You are the owner of this article.
top story

North Charleston man gets life sentence for fatal 2015 shooting

  • Updated
Second man arrested in shooting death on Charleston peninsula (copy)

Montrelle Lamont Campbell. File/Provided

A 36-year-old North Charleston man received a life sentence after being found guilty Friday on three counts related to a fatal 2015 shooting in Charleston. 

Montrelle Lamont Campbell, a resident of Purdue Avenue, was convicted on one count of murder and two counts of attempted murder, according to court records. 

Campbell received a life sentence for the murder and 30-year sentences on each of the attempted murder counts, according to court records. 

He was arrested in November 2015 in connection with the Sept. 19 death of Antwan Lamont Frost, 32. 

Police arrested Trivell Donte Lamar Richardson, 33, of Raymond Avenue in North Charleston, in October 2015 on the same charges as Campbell. His case remains pending in court. 

Investigators believed that the shooting was tied to an assault that happened the night before during a party at a house located at 36A Norman St. On the day of the shooting, Frost stepped into the house to see a friend, according to an account given by his sister, Shanecqua Frost, in 2015. 

There was an argument and Antwan was shot in the chest, his sister said at the time. 

Frost was a longtime cook for downtown Charleston restaurants. Known as "Dusty," he worked at Bay Street Biergarten and was known for his cheerful personality, his sister said.

"He didn't involve himself in foolishness," she said.

Speaking on Friday after Campbell's sentencing, Shanecqua Frost said her family is very pleased with the outcome of the case and with the dedication shown by the prosecution and police, especially Eric Tuttle, the Charleston detective who investigated the case.

"We can't bring him back, but we finally got peace," Frost said.

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Get the best of The Post and Courier, handpicked and delivered to your inbox every morning.


Reach Gregory Yee at 843-937-5908. Follow him on Twitter @GregoryYYee.

Gregory Yee covers breaking news and public safety. He's a native Angeleno and previously covered crime and courts for the Press-Telegram in Long Beach, CA. He studied journalism and Spanish literature at the University of California, Irvine.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Breaking News

Free Times Breaking News