Louis Wright is going to be OK.

The 18-month-old boy who suffered extensive injuries when he was allegedly abused by three teenagers last month was to be released from the hospital Thursday, according to the Mount Pleasant lawyer who set up a fund to help the child's family pay medical expenses.

"He will be staying with his aunt, who sounds like a really sweet person," said Nathan Hughey. "She said he is expected to make a full recovery."

Louis was admitted to the pediatric intensive care unit at Medical University Hospital on Nov. 30, the morning after he was allegedly pummelled and tossed around by three teenage boys at a house in North Charleston.

According to arrest warrants and a North Charleston police incident report, the abuse took place during the evening of Nov. 29 and came to light the next day, when the child's mother rushed him to a hospital.

Doctors called police to report suspicious injuries after they found the child had swelling to his face, five fractured ribs, bruises on his back and his left and right torso, as well as lacerations to his spleen, liver and pancreas.

Three boys, ages 16, 15 and 14, are accused of abusing Louis. The 16-year-old, Tyrek D. Varnes of North Charleston, is being charged as an adult with inflicting great bodily injury upon a child. His bail was set at $80,000.

All three juveniles were in the custody of the S.C. Department of Juvenile Justice.

The child's mother, 18-year-old Shakera Wright of Charleston, is charged with allowing infliction of great bodily injury upon a child. She remains in the Charleston County jail on $40,000 bail.

Stories about the abuse prompted phone calls and e-mails from readers wanting to help.

Hughey, a personal-injury lawyer and principal of the Hughey Law Firm on Coleman Boulevard, said he decided to set up a fund for Louis after he read the postandcourier.com stories about the case.

"I felt sorry for the little guy," Hughey said. "I've got three little kids of my own, and I wanted to do something that would help him."

Hughey began establishing the fund more than a week ago. He has consulted with social workers at the hospital and with the S.C. Department of Social Services.

Donations to the Louis Wright Fund can be made at any branch office of NBSC Bank, Hughey said. Donations will be used to help defray expenses incurred by the relatives who are caring for the child, Hughey said.

The aunt who has been approved to take Louis home from the hospital is a sister of the child's father, Hughey said.

Marilyn Matheus, director of media relations for the DSS, said the agency is investigating Louis' situation and would continue to look after his well-being. She would not confirm that Louis had been released from the hospital, but she said if he were to be released, he would be released into the custody of a family member.

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Get the best of The Post and Courier, handpicked and delivered to your inbox every morning.


We're improving out commenting experience.

We’ve temporarily removed comments from articles while we work on a new and better commenting experience. In the meantime, subscribers are encouraged to join the conversation at our Post and Courier Subscribers group on Facebook.