Joseph Lamar Brown Jr.

Joseph Lamar Brown Jr. Cannon Detention Center/Provided

Trial for a Summerville man accused of breaking into a Lincolnville home in 2016 and fatally shooting the occupant ended without a verdict this week.

A judge declared a mistrial in the case against Joseph Lamar Brown Jr., said Bruce DuRant, chief deputy solicitor for the 9th Circuit Solicitor's Office, on Friday. 

DuRant said he plans to retry Brown and is in the process of securing a new court date.

The 19-year-old Third Street resident was arrested in January 2017 after authorities implicated him in the Dec. 23, 2016 shooting of 46-year-old Lincolnville resident John Pritchard. 

Brown faces one count each of murder, burglary, armed robbery with a deadly weapon and possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, according to jail records. 

Authorities say Brown broke into Pritchard's East Thomas Street home and shot him in the head after demanding money.

He then fled, dropping a cellphone and a large sum of money while running away, according to affidavits.

Brown was slated to be tried alongside a codefendant, 25-year-old Lorenzo Coleman, but a judge agreed to split up the two men's trials, according to James Falk, Coleman's attorney. 

Reach Gregory Yee at 843-937-5908. Follow him on Twitter @GregoryYYee.

Gregory Yee covers breaking news and public safety. He's a native Angeleno and previously covered crime and courts for the Press-Telegram in Long Beach, CA. He studied journalism and Spanish literature at the University of California, Irvine.