The alleged gunman shot by deputies after authorities say he fired upon them was released from a hospital Tuesday and moved to the Al Cannon Detention Center.
Calvin Lorenzo Middleton III, 31, had previously been listed in stable condition at Trident Hospital as of March 2, immediately following the shooting. Middleton was denied bond on three charges of attempted murder.
Middleton's wife phoned for help and told dispatchers the morning of the shooting that her husband threatened to harm her.
Authorities responding to Middleton's address on Pine Tree Drive near St. Stephen arrived shortly after 5:30 a.m., as the 31-year-old was reportedly trying to leave the area.
Almost immediately, Middleton jumped from a 2013 Chevy Suburban and shot at three deputies with a pistol as they blocked his escape a short distance from the residence, Sheriff Duane Lewis said.
At least one round struck 28-year-old Deputy Cody Gooch in the right leg, prompting the deputies to return fire, wounding the gunman. Two other deputies were also targeted but were not shot, according to an arrest affidavit.
This was the eighth officer-involved shooting in South Carolina in 2018. The State Law Enforcement Division is continuing to investigate the matter while deputies are also working to determine what set off the initial domestic dispute.