Willis Ivey

Willis Ivey. Cannon Detention Center/Provided

A man suspected of killing two people in separate shootings last year was arrested Thursday night after a chase that involved him hitting a North Charleston K-9 officer's vehicle, authorities said. 

The pursuit began around 9 p.m., when police and the U.S. Marshals Service Fugitive Task Force received information that 26-year-old Willis Terrell Ivey was in the Liberty Hill community. 

Ivey, of Blossom Street in Goose Creek, was wanted by police on two counts of murder for a fatal shooting in the city's Chicora-Cherokee neighborhood in October and another in Liberty Hill in December. 

Officers tried to stop Ivey as he drove a Toyota Camry on East Montague Avenue near Upjohn Avenue. The Camry sped off, turning onto the oncoming lanes of Rivers Avenue toward Interstate 526, an incident report stated. 

The Camry abruptly turned across Rivers Avenue near an entrance to I-526 and struck the K-9 officer's vehicle, causing it to overturn. 

Ivey bailed out of the car and ran into the tree line.

According to affidavits, Ivey grabbed a U.S. Marshal's handgun and "pulled multiple times," as they tried to apprehend him, and pulled back on an officer's arm, causing a broken bone in the officer's hand. 

Spencer Pryor, a North Charleston police spokesman, said the officer involved in the crash was treated and released from the Medical University of South Carolina hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening. The officer’s K-9 was not injured. 

Ivey faces multiple charges, including two counts of murder, failure to stop for blue lights, assault on a police officer and weapon possession, Pryor said. 

Officers also arrested a passenger in his vehicle for simple possession of marijuana. 

Ivey is accused of shooting and killing 18-year-old Willie Lee Duggans at an apartment on Redwood Street in October. He's also charged in the shooting death of 18-year-old Malik Cooper on Gaynor Street in December. 

He chose to waive his right to a bond hearing during a court appearance Thursday night where both his family and the families of the victims were present. 

"What took place, it really had a powerful impact," said Alicia Cooper, Malik Cooper's aunt. "I don't know how long but I know this wound will heal."

Addressing the magistrate, Cooper went on to say that she was willing to let go and that she has finally started coping with her nephew's death.

"God, he just loaned him to us for a little while," she said. "The way he left, that's what had the impact on us ... because we weren't prepared."

Cooper also said that she does not bear hate toward Ivey's family.

Ericka Mazyck, who said Ivey is the father of her grandchildren, spoke to media after the hearing, and said that the accusations made against Ivey do not match with the man she knows.

"He's been a good father," Mazyck said. "He's a very kind-hearted person."

All the families involved should be able to come together despite the circumstances, she said.  

Gregory Yee contributed to this report. 

Reach Angie Jackson at 843-937-5705. Follow her on Twitter at @angiejackson23

Angie Jackson covers crime and breaking news for The Post and Courier. She previously covered the same beat for the Grand Rapids Press and MLive.com in Michigan. When she’s not reporting, Angie enjoys teaching yoga and exploring the outdoors.