'Town' star survives big chill

Renee Zellweger plays a corporate VP in the film 'New in Town,' which opened Friday in Charleston.

A 21-year-old man wanted on kidnapping charges ended a six-hour standoff with North Charleston police Monday when he walked out of his aunt's house while talking on his cellphone.

Officers cordoned off the streets around 2915 Louise Drive and evacuated neighbors after the suspect was said to be armed with knives. But Quantez Jahmal Jackson gave himself up around 9 a.m. as SWAT team members broke out a rear window of the house.

Marionette Williams, 49, a next-door neighbor, said officers woke her and ushered her out around 5 a.m. She said her sister was inside the house with Jackson for most of the standoff, but the police said she was not a hostage.

"I was terrified just knowing this was going on next door," said Williams, who added that her sister was unhurt. "It was like something from John Walsh on 'America's Most Wanted.' "

Spencer Pryor, spokesman for the North Charleston Police Department, said the sequence of events started Sunday when Jackson held his ex-girlfriend against her will "for an extended period of time" inside an Orvid Street home.

The woman got away, but Jackson wasn't there when officers arrived.

At 3 a.m. Monday, investigators tracked him to Louise Drive. It's not known whom Jackson was speaking with on his cellphone when he walked out and was restrained by SWAT officers.

Jackson has a history of arrests on charges such as burglary, robbery and kidnapping.

Two schools, Garrett Academy on Gordon Street and Burns Elementary on Dorchester Road, were placed on lockdown during the standoff. Officials said the measures were taken as a precaution. No firearms were found in the house, and Jackson was unarmed when he surrendered, Pryor said.

"He did not have a knife on him when he surrendered," Pryor said. "There is no way we know what he had with him inside of the house."

Reach Andrew Knapp at 937-5414 or twitter.com/offlede.