Police (stock images)

Toilet paper dispensers in two bathroom stalls acted as fuel for a fire Tuesday morning at the Charleston Charter School for Math and Science, officials said.

The fire was set intentionally, Charleston Fire Department Deputy Fire Marshal Rick Anewalt said. Crews responded at about 10 a.m. to the school, located at 1002 King St., and extinguished the fire.

An evacuation was already underway when crews arrived, and no injuries were reported. The incident is still under investigation.

Though the fire was contained to the bathroom, Anewalt said water from the sprinkler system caused more serious damage when it overflowed the bathroom and went into the second-floor hallway.

Anewalt said he didn't want to speculate on the financial extent of the damages, but "it's definitely going to be more than $10,000."

Except for one area damaged by smoke and water, the school was reoccupied and remained open for the rest of the day, according to a Facebook post from the fire department. Fire investigators, along with school officials and the Charleston Police Department, are reviewing the incident.

Mary Carmichael, executive director of the Public Charter School Alliance of South Carolina, said in an email statement the school will be open Wednesday.

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Get the best of The Post and Courier, handpicked and delivered to your inbox every morning.


Jack Evans is a reporting intern at the Post and Courier. He attends Indiana University and has written for the Indiana Daily Student, the Daily Hampshire Gazette and the Knoxville Mercury, among other publications.

We're improving out commenting experience.

We’ve temporarily removed comments from articles while we work on a new and better commenting experience. In the meantime, subscribers are encouraged to join the conversation at our Post and Courier Subscribers group on Facebook.