Grandmother gives teary testimony on 6th day of Casey Anthony trial

Cindy Anthony reacts while listening to a 911 call she made after discovering her granddaughter was missing.

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The mother of a Florida woman charged in the death of her 2-year-old daughter cried and buried her face in her hands Tuesday as prosecutors played a series of 911 calls, including one that reported that the toddler had been missing for 31 days.

Cindy Anthony became emotional during the sixth day of testimony in the murder trial of her 25-year-old daughter, Casey Anthony. During the final 911 call played, Cindy Anthony said her daughter had just told her that her 2-year-old granddaughter, Caylee, had been missing for 31 days.

Casey Anthony is charged with first-degree murder and could be sentenced to death if convicted. She has pleaded not guilty and initially said a babysitter took the child. Her defense attorney now contends Caylee died in an accidental drowning in the family's swimming pool. The prosecution says Caylee was suffocated by duct tape placed over her mouth.

The 911 calls solicited the most emotional witness testimony to date. On a handful of occasions, jurors could be seen glancing in the direction of Casey, who also cried several times during her mother's testimony. Jurors also looked toward Casey when the prosecution played a recording of her first call home from jail following her July 16, 2008, arrest.

Judge Belvin Perry stopped the proceedings twice for 5-minute recesses to allow Cindy Anthony to regain her composure.

Minutes before listening to the 911 call in the courtroom, Cindy Anthony recounted how she had overheard Casey Anthony telling her brother that Caylee had been missing for a month

"I lost it," Cindy Anthony said between sobs. "I just went into the room and yelled at Casey, 'What do you mean she's been gone? Why didn't you tell us?' "

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Get the best of The Post and Courier, handpicked and delivered to your inbox every morning.