webref gavel

A former athlete at First Baptist School of Charleston received a $5.87 million verdict in a lawsuit after he suffered two sports-related concussions while playing basketball for the school.

The jury reached its verdict in favor of the student, Brett Baker-Goins, on Friday afternoon, according to a statement put out by his attorneys. 

After suffering his first concussion, Baker-Goins was treated at Medical University Hospital for complaints of headaches, dizziness and cognitive issues, the statement said. He was diagnosed with a sports-related concussion and when he returned to school, officials put him through the South Carolina Independent School Association's "return to play protocol."

But attorneys argued that he was rushed through that process and suffered another concussion within five weeks of his first injury, the statement said. 

"The second concussion resulted in a permanent traumatic brain injury that has delayed Brett’s educational, social and emotional development," the statement said. 

After Friday's verdict, Baker-Goins' attorney, W. Mullins McLeod Jr. said injuries like his client's don't happen when proper return to play protocols are followed. 

"This was a five-year battle that ended with the truth," Baker-Goins said, in a statement. 

Reach Gregory Yee at 843-937-5908. Follow him on Twitter @GregoryYYee.

Gregory Yee covers breaking news and public safety. He's a native Angeleno and previously covered crime and courts for the Press-Telegram in Long Beach, CA. He studied journalism and Spanish literature at the University of California, Irvine.