GOOSE CREEK -- Minutes after a Ryan Drive resident dumped ashtray contents into a trash can in his garage Wednesday, a blaze broke out and destroyed the home, fire officials said.

Firefighters from three departments joined in battling the blaze that soared through the roof at 119 Ryan Drive.

No one was hurt in the fire, reported at 1 p.m., but the home became at least 50 percent engulfed in flames and "will probably end up being a total loss," Goose Creek Fire Chief Steve Chapman said.

Chapman said a man and his elderly mother were living in the home, and both escaped as the fire spread. They are staying with other relatives, he said.

The homeowner, whose name was not available, emptied the ashtrays and "went back in the house, and about 15 minutes later his smoke alarms started going off," Chapman said.

He said the man opened the garage door and found the room full of smoke, and within minutes a roaring fire was consuming the home.

Goose Creek summoned help from the Goose Creek Rural and the Caromi fire departments.

Eventually there were five large fire-fighting vehicles and about 24 firefighters on the scene, Chapman said.

As the fire was being suppressed, "some small explosions" were heard as paint cans and lawn mower fuel heated up and popped in the garage, he said.

Chapman said it took about 30 minutes to get the fire under control, but the follow-up took hours.

The fire was one of three at homes that the Goose Creek department responded to in the past two days.

On Tuesday, he said, the fire department was called at 10:51 a.m. to 102 Bugle Drive. A blaze began when a woman "put a couple of Pop Tarts in a toaster oven and then jumped in the shower. When she got out of the shower, the kitchen was on fire," he said.

At about 7 p.m., the fire department went to a fire at Coventry Green Apartments, at 104 Gainsborough Drive, where a pot had been left unattended on a stove.

The apartment sprinkler system activated and suppressed the fire, containing damage to the stove and some water damage in the kitchen area, he said.