CLEMSON -- Alcohol poisoning is suspected in the death of a 19-year-old Clemson University student from Mount Pleasant, Pickens County Coroner Kandy Kelley said Saturday.
Tyler Jacob Karolczyk was found Saturday morning at an off-campus apartment at The Homes at Chimney Ridge on Smoke Rise Lane, Kelley said.
Karolczyk was taken to Oconee Medical Center in Seneca, where he was pronounced dead at 10:57 a.m., the coroner said.
Karolczyk, a 2010 Wando High School graduate, was a sophomore and had declared as a pre-business major, university officials said. A student must become a pre-business major, according to the Clemson website, before being accepted into specific business concentrations such as accounting or management.
Karolczyk did not live on the Clemson campus, officials said.
A formal conclusion about the cause of Karolczyk's death will not be reached until after an autopsy scheduled for Monday, Kelley said. More thorough toxicology testing will take more time, she said.
Assistant Pickens County Sheriff Tim Morgan said no arrests had been made as of Saturday evening. An investigation into the death will be launched and will largely hinge on the results of the toxicology testing, Morgan said.
"This is certainly a tragedy," he said.
University spokeswoman Robin Denny said it is tragic to lose such a young student.
"Just as Tyler was a valued member of the Clemson family, we grieve for his own family and friends," she wrote in an e-mail. "We are dedicated to supporting them in this time of sorrow."