The Citadel’s Board of Visitors met behind closed doors for eight hours Tuesday to discuss a contractual matter on an attorney general investigation into how the school handled a child sex abuse allegation and a lawsuit filed against the school by a former camper at its youth summer camp.

The board did not vote or take action on either of those issues.

Chairman Doug Snyder said the board still wants to have the state attorney general’s office investigate the school’s handling of a sexual abuse complaint from a former camper about the senior counselor at its since-closed camp, even though the investigation cannot begin immediately.

The attorney general’s office said Monday that it plans to hold off on a review of The Citadel sex-abuse scandal until the various agencies conducting criminal investigations of accused molester Louis “Skip” ReVille conclude their work.

The military college asked Attorney General Alan Wilson on Friday to appoint an independent counsel to review its handling of a 2007 complaint from a teen who accused ReVille of watching porn and masturbating with boys at its summer camp.

The school chose to investigate the complaint on its own without notifying police.

Snyder said the board at first was going to hire a private company to investigate but decided a probe by the attorney general would be more independent and transparent.

Snyder said the board also discussed a lawsuit filed against Michael J. Arpaio and the school Friday by the Bell Legal Group alleging that Arpaio, a former Marine captain, sexually assaulted a boy at The Citadel’s summer camp in 2001.

The Bell Legal Group previously sued Arpaio and The Citadel in 2005 on behalf of five campers who alleged that they were sexually abused by Arpaio at the camp. The victims were awarded a $3.8 million settlement.

“It was a complex legal matter that we had to go through in executive session,” Snyder said.