Authorities said a 6-year-old playing with a lighter caused a fire that forced a family of four from its North Charleston apartment Tuesday.

The fire started at 5 p.m. at Apartment 64C at Hunter's Ridge Apartments, North Charleston Fire Battalion Chief Eric Phillips said.

Everyone got out safely.

Phillips said firefighters brought the fire under control within 30 minutes, containing it to the apartment where it started. An adjacent apartment had minor smoke damage.

The apartment did not have a working smoke alarm, he said.

The family of four is being assisted by the Carolina Lowcountry Chapter of the American Red Cross.