Two of his pickup truck's tires were shot out and a K-9 stopped him from running, but Timothy Shawn McManus continued struggling with the deputies he had led on a 120-mph car chase Monday, according to sheriff's reports.

McManus fought and tried to spit on Charleston County deputies who captured him beside an intersection of dirt roads in the Francis Marion National Forest, arrest warrants and a sheriff's report said.

McManus, 31, of Macoma Drive in Mount Pleasant, was treated at East Cooper Hospital before being lodged at the Cannon Detention Center.

On Tuesday, bail was set at $102,550 for McManus, who is charged with reckless driving, failure to stop for blue lights and siren, resisting arrest and third-offense driving under suspension.

Deputies allege McManus sped away after almost colliding in Mount Pleasant with a sport utility vehicle driven by Sheriff Al Cannon. Cannon began pursuit, and said McManus drove over curbs and sidewalks before and during the chase, and that McManus forced more than a dozen other vehicles off the roads.

The chase that began in Mount Pleasant continued for 25 miles to near Awendaw.

"It's a miracle that no one was killed," county Magistrate Linda Lombard told McManus.

While on forest roads, Cannon and two deputies fired shots into McManus' truck tires and forced the truck to skid to a halt.

McManus' mother and wife were in court and told Lombard that he is the father of three.

"He's not a bad person," his wife, Melissa McManus, said, adding after Lombard noted his license has been repeatedly suspended that he had to drive to get to work.

"He shouldn't have been doing what he was doing," she told Lombard.

McManus said he is a self-employed roofer who has lived in Georgia and South Carolina. Lombard said he has a long record of driving offenses in both states.

"Your driving record goes on and on," the judge said.

Before McManus appeared at the hearing via video conferencing, a jailer told Lombard the inmate was a "disciplinary" problem. McManus was cuffed behind his back.

Outside the courtroom, Melissa McManus maintained that her husband was beaten by deputies who arrested him. She claimed he received stitches after the arrest because the dog that brought him down was allowed "to chew on him."

The State Law Enforcement Division is investigating the chase, a standard procedure after shots are fired by law officers.

Sheriff's Maj. John Clark said there was no police brutality.

Clark said he witnessed much of the final moments of the chase and said McManus refused orders to surrender. He said it "was just a matter of seconds" before deputies pulled the dog off McManus.

A warrant states a lieutenant pointing his gun told McManus to get on the ground, but McManus instead reached into his truck, and the lieutenant struck him several times.

McManus continued to resist until the K-9 put an end to the effort. After being cuffed, "he continued to resist and attempted to spit on deputies," the warrant states.