No one was injured when a small fire filled a King Street restaurant with smoke Tuesday.

About 12:45 p.m., Charleston firefighters were called to Jim 'N Nicks Bar-B-Q at 288 King St., said Mark Ruppel, fire department public information officer.

There was smoke coming from the front door when the first firefighters arrived, Ruppel said. Smoke and flames were coming out of a vent on the roof.

The fire was in the kitchen and was quickly extinguished, and an aerial ladder was used to inspect the roof. The restaurant and several residential apartments in the building were evacuated, as were adjacent businesses, Ruppel said.

During the fire, a refrigeration line for the restaurant's cooler was ruptured and there was an ammonia leak, Ruppel said. The department's Hazmat team was called to contain the ammonia leak. The S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control also was notified.

King Street was closed to vehicles from Wentworth to Society streets until shortly after 3 p.m.