Trail projects in Berkeley and Charleston counties have been recommended by the S.C. Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism to receive federal grants.

The agency has recommended $35,000 for grooming the Wambaw Cycle Trail in Berkeley County and $38,400 for the Sewee Visitor & Environmental Education Center boardwalk in Charleston.

The money will be funded by the Recreational Trails Program, a program of the Federal Highway Administration that helps pay for the construction, development and improvement of trails.

The grants will be provided on an 80-20 reimbursable match, according to a press release.

“The grant covers 80 percent of the recommended amount, and the local community pays for the other 20 percent,” said Dawn Dawson-House, public relations director for PRT.

Berkeley and Charleston were two of the 17 state counties that applied to get federal funds. All counties had to meet PRT’s standards before being recommended for money.

“We have to make sure the projects don’t interfere with endangered species, historical land or sensitive areas,” said Dawson-House.

Now it’s up to the highway administration to decide whether to distribute the funds for the projects. A decision is expected in September, said Dawson-House.

“The FHA has to do the criteria and scoring. It takes a month and a half,” she said.