A federal appeals courts has upheld the 20-year prison sentence for a former North Charleston police officer who shot and killed an unarmed black motorist as he ran from a traffic stop in April 2015.

The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals said in an opinion published Tuesday that it saw no error in the sentence a Charleston federal judge handed down to Michael Slager in the killing of Walter Scott. Slager’s prison term is among the most significant for an American law enforcement officer involved in a fatal shooting.

The case garnered attention across the country and contributed to a national dialogue surrounding use of police force against black civilians.

Scott’s brother, Anthony Scott, said Tuesday he was “ecstatic” over the appellate court’s decision and was glad his family could close this chapter.

“We got justice, but it was through the judicial system doing their job,” Scott said. “A lot of people don’t get the opportunity. Hopefully, that will continue to happen for other families.”

Walter Scott (copy)

Walter Scott. File/Provided

Columbia-based attorney Elizabeth Franklin-Best, an appellate attorney for Slager, 37, said her team was very disappointed in the court’s determination. She expected to file a petition for a rehearing in the near future.

"We're going to continue to fight the conviction," she said.

Justin Bamberg, a state lawmaker and attorney for the Scott family, said Slager needs to completely accept the consequences of his actions. 

"I don’t think there’s a need to try to put the Scott family through any more," Bamberg said. "He shot a man in the back, had his day in court and that day in court is over."

Slager pulled over Scott, 50, for a faulty brake light on April 4, 2015. A struggle broke out, and Slager said Scott grabbed his Taser.

Scott ran from Slager, and the officer gave chase before firing eight shots, five of which hit Scott from behind.

A bystander captured part of the incident on video, and Slager was charged with murder three days after the footage publicly surfaced.

Jurors in the state's murder case in 2016 couldn’t decide if Slager was guilty, resulting in a mistrial.

In 2017, Slager reached a deal with prosecutors and pleaded guilty to a federal civil rights violation for using excessive force. With that, state prosecutors dropped the separate state murder charge.

It was a federal judge’s responsibility to decide if Slager’s underlying offense was second-degree murder or voluntary manslaughter.

U.S. District Judge David Norton found that Slager committed murder while violating Scott’s civil rights, rejecting the former lawman’s contention that Scott had provoked the gunfire. The judge characterized Slager’s testimony as “self-serving, evolving, and internally inconsistent.”

Norton gave more weight to the account of Feidin Santana, the bystander who filmed Scott’s death, regarding him as a more credible witness than the former officer. 

Norton determined Slager acted with malice, a component of murder, when firing at the unarmed and fleeing Scott.

Among other points, Franklin-Best argued that her client’s underlying offense should have been the lesser crime of voluntary manslaughter, a killing in the heat of passion. She said Norton's findings didn't acknowledge "the ever-present danger that police officers face.”

The appeals court on Tuesday agreed with the federal judge’s determination that Slager acted with malice.

“Defendant’s alleged mutual combat with Scott did not provide Defendant with adequate provocation because Scott was running away when Defendant shot him,” the judges wrote in their opinion.

Slager remains at a federal prison in Colorado. He is expected to be released in 2034.

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Get the best of The Post and Courier, handpicked and delivered to your inbox every morning.

Reach Michael Majchrowicz at 843-937-5591. Follow him on Twitter @mjmajchrowicz.

Michael Majchrowicz is a reporter covering crime and public safety. He previously wrote about courts for the Daily Hampshire Gazette in Northampton, Massachusetts. A Hoosier native, he graduated from Indiana University with a degree in journalism.

Angie Jackson covers crime and breaking news for The Post and Courier. She previously covered the same beat for the Grand Rapids Press and MLive.com in Michigan. When she’s not reporting, Angie enjoys teaching yoga and exploring the outdoors.