pc-021518-ne-heidimissingfollo car.jpg (copy)

Police tape surrounds the home of Heidi Todd on February 14, 2018, in the Whitney Lake neighborhood of Johns Island. The 4-year-old went missing from her home the day before and was found in Alabama. File/Brad Nettles/Staff

After a mother didn't pick her children up from school, a police officer sent to check on her Johns Island home could tell something was amiss. 

The doors and windows were locked. Peering inside, the officer spotted a pair of glasses on the kitchen floor and blood near the front door. Then the injured mother opened the front door.

"Help," she screamed.

Charleston police supplemental reports released Thursday paint a more complete picture of the chaotic crime scene at the Whitney Lake home where authorities say Thomas Lawton Evans, 37, brutally assaulted the mother before abducting 4-year-old Heidi Todd on Feb. 13. 

The woman told officers that a stranger — "some skinny dude that was kind of tall, maybe Hispanic" — attacked her that morning as she returned home after dropping two of her five children off at school, according to the reports.

"He charged me, put me to the ground, beat me up and tied me together," the woman told police. 

Two children were home with the woman when police arrived, but Heidi was missing. 

Authorities would soon determine that Evans randomly targeted the family and that he had been freed from state prison Feb. 1 to serve the remainder of a 10-year sentence on community supervision in the Upstate.

Heidi's disappearance prompted a frantic search. She was rescued Feb. 14 after railroad workers in Alabama saw her inside a parked car with a man who was asleep. 

The man, Evans, fled in a stolen Chevrolet and led authorities on a pursuit that ended in Mississippi. 

He is charged in state court with two counts of kidnapping and one count each of attempted murder, first-degree criminal sexual conduct, armed robbery, first-degree burglary and weapon possession. He is also charged with a federal count of kidnapping.

The day of the attack and abduction, an officer went to check on Heidi's mother after an employee from her children's school reported she didn't show up to get her children that afternoon. The woman's husband was out of town and said he hadn't heard from his wife since that morning. 

The police reports describe officers arriving to a bloody scene at the family's home. The woman's baby was sleeping in an upstairs closet. The toddler was with the mother. A shower in the master bedroom was running. 

The woman suffered facial fractures, bleeding on her brain and neck injuries, documents said. Investigators found evidence that she had been sexually assaulted. 

Authorities said Evans took the mother's purse. The woman told police she didn't realize her phone was left behind. 

Reach Angie Jackson at 843-937-5705. Follow her on Twitter at @angiejackson23Reach Gregory Yee at 843-937-5908. Follow him on Twitter @GregoryYYee.

Angie Jackson covers crime and breaking news for The Post and Courier. She previously covered the same beat for the Grand Rapids Press and MLive.com in Michigan. When she’s not reporting, Angie enjoys teaching yoga and exploring the outdoors.

Gregory Yee covers breaking news and public safety. He's a native Angeleno and previously covered crime and courts for the Press-Telegram in Long Beach, CA. He studied journalism and Spanish literature at the University of California, Irvine.