NORTH MYRTLE BEACH — A South Carolina coastal city has delayed a proposal to ban tents on the beach.
Multiple media outlets reported North Myrtle Beach City Council members voted Monday to delay consideration of a ban until October. The council had tentatively approved the ban last month.
Officials say tents on the beach block lifeguards' views of the water. The tents also can make it harder for those at the beach to see the lifeguard towers and block emergency vehicles.
Councilwoman Doris Williams says she's been contacted by a number of residents and now thinks the city only needs guidelines on where the tents can be set up.
Interim public safety director Rick Buddelmeyer says he doesn't mind waiting, since tents won't be a problem this fall.