medical tent

Conway Medical Center workers take down former COVID-19 triage tents on April 11. Richard Caines/Staff

CONWAY — Conway Medical Center has taken another step in easing previously instituted COVID-19 measures and restrictions, citing lower infection rates in Horry County since the pandemic first began.

Wearing medical masks at the healthcare facility off Singleton Ridge Road is now optional for employees and visitors who are fully vaccinated — the first hospital across Horry and Georgetown counties to take such a step.

Other hospitals — including Grand Strand Medical Center in Myrtle Beach, Tidelands Health with locations in Georgetown and Murrells Inlet, and McLeod Health with locations in Little River and Loris — all said they will continue to require masks to be worn in their medical facilities regardless of vaccination level.

Conway Medical Center has additionally removed former triage tents in the parking lot that were used for patients who showed symptoms of COVID-19 as well as those who did not require treatment in the emergency room steps away.

Previously set in March 2020 at the onset of the pandemic in Horry County, the tents were first removed in May 2021 when numbers started to subside but were placed again last August as a result of a surge in cases over the summer.

“It’s a great feeling to see these tents come down,” said Dr. Paul Richardson, chief medical officer at Conway Medical Center. “I hope they stay down this time.”

Richardson said there are three COVID patients within the system as of April 11 — a reason for the new mask policy and tent removal.

As the barrack-shaped tents were being removed on April 11, medical workers came outside and captured the moment by taking photos with their cellphones.

“I think it’s a real morale booster for everybody, for the community as well,” Richardson said. “Again, we’re not saying COVID is gone by any stretch of the imagination. We’re just at a point where we believe this is the right move at this point.”

Follow Richard Caines on Twitter at @rickcaines

Richard Caines is a business reporter for The Post & Courier - Myrtle Beach/Georgetown Times. He is a graduate of the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University.