Mount Pleasant -- A man who drove his SUV into two motorcycles that had been stopped at a red light, killing both of the riders, will face no criminal charges and will be cited for a minor traffic offense, police announced in a short statement released late today.
Charles J. McDonald, 38, of Meggett, was driving the Ford Explorer that struck the motorcyclists shortly before 11:30 a.m. on May 11 at U.S. Highway 17 and Anna Knapp Boulevard, according to police. James Doucette, 80, of Port Charlotte, Fla., and James Hines, 50, of Yaphank, N.Y., died in the wreck after they were hit from behind while stopped in traffic.
McDonald's vehicle struck the two motorcycles, and also the vehicle that was stopped in front of the motorcycles, according to police statements and reports. A police report lists "driving too fast for conditions" and "distraction/inattention" as contributing factors in the accident.
Capt. Carl Ritchie of the Mount Pleasant Police Department said previously that the motorcyclists were in the Myrtle Beach area for Bike Week and had decided to come to Charleston for the day. They were driving south on U.S. 17 riding side by side, when they stopped in traffic.
The police department said the decision to file no charges related to the two deaths came after a review with the Solicitor's Office.
9th Circuit Solicitor Scarlett Wilson said she consulted with police officials at their request, but that the decision on charges was theirs.
The police department issued a brief statement after 5 p.m.
Reach David Slade at937-5552 or email@example.com.