South Carolina Politics
Harris Pastides, edging closer toward retirement, has plenty of work — and energy — left to complete some major projects at South Carolina's flagship college. But he wants to find a way to get more funding from the state to help build a new economy in the Palmetto State.
The new special collection of records from Riley's decades of public service features thousands of artifacts, letters and photographs from his decades in public life.
Gov. Henry McMaster needed more than $1 million to fend off a wealthy rival in a fierce Republican runoff last month, finishing a primary race that on its own was nearly the most expensive ever for an entire South Carolina governor campaign.
SUMTER — Archie Parnell is ready to go back on offense.
South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster beat Greenville businessman John Warren in the Republican governor primary runoff on Tuesday.
In today's SC runoff election can businessman John Warren pull off an upset over Gov. Henry McMaster in the race to be the Republican nominee for governor?
A close Republican governor's runoff race is expected Tuesday when voters choose between a veteran politician and a newcomer to face Democrat James Smith this fall.
In at least one way, South Carolina’s climate has changed noticeably.
COLUMBIA — A defensive back at South Carolina was suspended due to his arrest this week on assault and burglary charges after police say he br…
COLUMBIA — President Donald Trump will visit to a high school outside Columbia and Vice President Mike Pence will speak at a college outside M…
Though it has flown largely under the radar, dwarfed by other highly competitive races for governor and Congress, the GOP primary for South Carolina attorney general has been one of the state's most contentious contests in 2018.
President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence are coming to South Carolina to campaign for Gov. Henry McMaster in the final days before his closer-than-expected GOP primary runoff against Greenville businessman John Warren.
If clicking "like" on a Facebook post is a universal thumbs up, the special prosecutor in the Statehouse corruption probe appears to have made some big news in the South Carolina Republican governor's runoff.
Gov. Henry McMaster and Greenville businessman John Warren are heading for a testy runoff to win the South Carolina Republican governor nod.
COLUMBIA — The math seems to work in Gov. Henry McMaster's favor in his upcoming Republican governor's runoff against political newcomer John Warren.
The two remaining candidates seeking the Republican nomination for governor, Gov. Henry McMaster and Greenville businessman John Warren, will debate next week in Newberry.
Archie Parnell, the South Carolina congressional candidate who admitted to beating his ex-wife several decades ago, overcame a wave of intense criticism from within his own party to easily win in the Democratic primary Tuesday.
Debating the week before the primary, the South Carolina Republican governor candidates attacked each other over the continuing Statehouse corruption scandal, being turned down for key jobs and their experience — or lack of it — in the state government Tuesday.
COLUMBIA — State Rep. James Smith, backed by a former vice president, continues to outraise Democratic rivals in a South Carolina governor's r…
COLUMBIA — At a recent candidate forum at Friendship Baptist Church, the church’s pastor, the Rev. Anthony Dicks, had a chance to go after emb…
COLUMBIA — Two weeks before the primary that will decide if he stays in office, Gov. Henry McMaster pointed at a building near downtown Columb…
LANCASTER — State officials were on a routine inspection when they came upon the wooden beam shattered beneath the bridge in Lancaster County.
COLUMBIA — A retired Kiawah Island real estate developer who lost to Henry McMaster in a heated 2014 lieutenant governor's race and was replac…
Five of the eight candidates running for South Carolina governor missed the deadline Tuesday to file pre-primary election campaign finance reports.
COLUMBIA — Gov. Henry McMaster continues raising more money than Catherine Templeton in the Republican race for governor, but his chief rival …
- A downtown Charleston home will be torn down after flooding left the owner unable to sell
- Former Panthers star accused of stiffing Charleston anglers in charity fishing tournament
- Charleston County gives up on Naval Hospital in failed development plan that's cost $35M
- 20 things to know before daring to park in Charleston
- Wando River bridge lane closure planned amid repairs that could last another year
- Sapakoff: Clemson can win it all with Chase Brice at quarterback
- Charleston lifeguards dropped vinegar for jellyfish stings. An expert says that's wrong.
- New US Foods Chef'Store set to open in Charleston
- Mount Pleasant favorite House of Brews expanding with second location in West Ashley
- Charleston judge halts Trump rule that suspended clean water protections
- Lowcountry oysters harvested and eaten year round
- Building MUSC's new Shawn Jenkins Children's Hospital
- Remembering Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin
- Hootie & the Blowfish HomeGrown concert
- The future of Century Aluminum in Mount Holly depends on electricity costs
- Fetter Health Care opens new Thaddeus J. Bell, MD. Family Health Center in Summerville
- Elvis ain't Dead for one night at the Pour House
- First Day Festival kicks off the school year for Charleston area schools
- Reader photos: People during their travels
- Trophy Case 8/12