A man was decontaminated and taken to a hospital this morning after he reportedly came into contact with an unknown chemical while sleeping in a box car.

The man showed up at the Charleston fire department at 264 Meeting St. about 10:30 a.m. complaining that he wasn't feeling well and that his hair was falling out, according to Mark Ruppel, fire department spokesman.

The man told firefighters that he had slept inside a box car with several railroad ties that had an unknown chemical on them.

Firefighters isolated the man until the Hazardous Materials team and Charleston County EMS paramedics arrived and decontaminated him, Ruppel said.

Check back with postandcourier.com as more details become available.